It’s the most wonderful time of the year! If you’re a holiday enthusiast like we are, you may have toyed with the idea of throwing a winter wedding close to Christmas—but perhaps you’ve second guessed yourself so close to the holidays.
It’s a very valid question and one that we’ve asked ourselves many, many times. Lucky for you, weddings are kind of our thing, so we’ve come up with some pretty chic—yet festive ideas that will certainly put you in the holiday spirit. They may even tip the scales in your deciding process toward having a Christmas wedding!
- Keep it Simple– The rule with making any holiday-themed wedding successful and tasteful is making sure you aren’t going overboard in any capacity. Having a 12-foot-tall Christmas tree decked to the nines with hundreds of ornaments and lights, with fake snow on every table and mini stockings as favors, for instance, wouldn’t be an example of keeping it simple. Instead, just hint at Christmas. We love a pine garland running down long tables so you get that familiar holiday smell, plus mismatched vintage tapers in brass.
- Calligraph Ornaments as Wedding Favors– Here’s an idea for favors that your guests will actually love and want to keep: Have a calligrapher write all of your guests’ names on pretty glass ornaments (we love these vintage-inspired ones from Anthropologie) and have them double as escort cards! There are a million ways to creatively display them for your guests to grab on the way to their seats.
- Twinkle Lights are a MUST!– There’s nothing we love more than an overabundance of twinkle lights, it’s pure magic with not too much time or money spent for such a big impact. It totally feels like Christmas—and super romantic and dreamy to boot.
- Do a Modern Twist on a Classic Holiday Beverage– We love the idea of modernizing eggnog as your signature cocktail for a Christmas wedding! This mezcal saffron eggnog from Bob Peters (YUM) would work perfectly, but there are tons of variations out there! Or how about a spiked white hot chocolate with a peppermint stick? The possibilities are endless.
- Holiday Themed Photo Booth– If your wedding is close to the holidays but you don’t want to go all out, an easy way to incorporate it into your decor is to have some holiday themed props for your photo booth. Also, having a metallic backdrop will definitely make the photos pop and get everyone in the holiday spirit without any red and green stripes in sight.
- English Christmas Crackers are Always a HIT!– Everyone loves a traditional Christmas cracker, so why not lay one out on everyone’s plate for a little pre-dinner fun? The bonus with these is that they’ve got some super fun packaging going on!
- Different Kinds of Wreaths– Want something a little more off-the-beaten-path than your classic greenery wreath? Opt for a frosted pastel in an interesting material or something gold and floral that has a mid-century vibe to it (psst—if you go that route you can repurpose and use as decor at home, after!).
- Candlelight is Romantic and Timeless– It’s winter and chilly, what a better way to bring in light, romance, and togetherness like candles!